March 7, 2009
Ok, so I’ve finally managed to set up a blog for my baking (and craftiness), so I thought I’d start off with today’s offerings; Banoffee muffins & coconut sponge cupcakes.
Banoffe Muffins – Makes 12 to 18 cakes
125g Unsalted butter, diced
125g Golden caster sugar
3 Medium Eggs
3 Tablespoons Milk
250g Self-Raising Flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 Ripe bananas mashed
1 tin Dulce de Leche (ready made caramel, can be found next to condensed milk in supermarkets)
- Preheat oven to 170C fan/190C/Gas mark 5 and prepare 18 muffin cases in cake trays.
- Cream butter & sugar together, then incorporate eggs one by one.
- Add the milk. Don’t worry if the mixture looks like it’s curdled, it’s supposed to look like this.
- Sift and stir in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, then add the bananas. Stir until combined.
- Divide mixture equally between muffin cases and bake for 20 mins until golden and risen.
- Once cooled, drizzle a teaspoon of Dulche de Leche over the top of the muffins.
Coconut Sponge Cupcakes – Makes 8-10 cakes
This recipe was adapted from a large sponge cake recipe, but it’s super easy!
60g Softened butter
60g Golden caster sugar
60g Self raising flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Medium eggs
25g Desicated coconut
1 Tablespoon Coconut milk
140g icing sugar
50g Softened butter
1 ½ Tablespoon coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 160C fan/180C/Gas 4 and prepare cupcake cases in a cake tray.
- Mix the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs with an electric whisk or food processor, until smooth.
- Gently stir in desiccated coconut and coconut milk.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases to just cover the bottom of the cases.
- Add ½ teaspoon of raspberry jam in the middle of the mixture in the cases.
- Divide the rest of the mixture between the cases, ensuring the jam is covered.
- Bake for 15 mins until golden and risen.
- Allow to cool whilst preparing topping.
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter and coconut milk.
- Spread evenly over cooled cakes.
Both of these were delicious, and will definitely be making them again!
Now all I need to do is remember to post when I make stuff!! I’m so used to just making stuff and not posting about it! I’ve got the Red Nose Day bake sale at work on friday, so I’ll be making some more tasty treats on Thursday.